Author ~ Poet ~ Painter ~ Illustrator
Lori Howell Thompson
Lori is in her element when she is writing, there is a story always to be told. She believes writing is the footprint to her soul.
Lori has started a reading program in the Salinas, California school district. Lori creates characters for her stories; she wants them to come alive.
Her greatest passion and achievement as an advocate for Lake Tahoe wildlife is her book “Living in Harmony with the Wildlife in Lake Tahoe. Being the thread that weaves humans and the wildlife living in safety and harmony. Lake Tahoe a city within the wilderness!
Her paintings were exhibited in Congressman Panetta’s office, Assembly Member Anna Caballero. She has been juried in the Los Gatos Art Gallery in November 2018. Lori did the first Art/Talk in December 2018 at the Steinbeck Library/Museum where her paintings will be exhibited. She was juried in the Avery Gallery in Seaside and placed Honorable Mention for her photography. Lori enjoys teaching students of all ages how to paint.
Art and Writing Achievements
Lori currently has some of her artwork displayed on the Tahoe Art League’s website.
She plans to participate in several local and international exhibits. She has many years of experience and enjoys all mediums.
Lori loves Lake Tahoe, New Zealand, and Carmel. Her greatest joy besides her passion to paint and write is being a wife, mother, and grandmother. Lori loves the mystery to find stories in everything and everywhere.
In the midst of a writing project, she likes researching for plots…her mind dazzles with ideas. Writing inspires her painting, and painting inspires her writing. Lori believes that painting and writing together is a “love story.”
When Lori isn’t writing or painting, to keep fit, she is an avid pickleball player.
Lori’s Organization Memberships
Central Coast Art Association
Promotes interest in and appreciation of art on the Monterey Peninsula.
- Beverly Hills Film Festival, Selected 2019
- Breaking Walls Thriller Screenplay, Finalist 2019
- Hollywood Screenings Film Festival, Finalist 2019
- Los Angeles Independent Film Festival, Finalist 2019
- Hollywood Int’l Moving Pictures Film, Award Winner 2019
- SF Indie Fest Screenplay, Finalist 2019
- Award Winner for Best Thriller Screenplay at the Los Angeles Film Awards 2018
- SF Indie Fest Screenplay, Finalist 2018
- Hollywood Int’l Moving Pictures Film, Award Winner 2018
- Los Angeles Independent Film Festival, Finalist Best Screenplay 2018
- Breaking Walls Thriller Screenplay, Finalist Best Screenplay 2018
- Hollywood Screenings Film Festival, Semi-Finalist Best Screenplay 2018
- Award Winner for the California Film Awards 2017 “Reflections” has won awards in 2016 through 2019
Art & Writing Achievements
- Author of a novel (thriller) “Reflections” and screenplay.
- “Living in Harmony with the Wildlife in Lake Tahoe.” Released May 5, 2022; This book is being sold at Cabin Fever Ski Run Marina, the Cork N More SLT, and Welcome Home Shoppe Gifts. Her book is in the SLT El Dorado county library. She is awaiting approval for her book to be available in the local schools and other merchants throughout Lake Tahoe. Her goal is to have the book available to the community and visitors on how to coexist the wildlife, and safety for humans and the wildlife.
- “Living in Harmony with the Wildlife in Lake Tahoe” will be sold at the Tallac Historic Site; Pope and Baldwin Estates, South Lake Tahoe, and Taylor Creek Visitor Center South Lake Tahoe.
- “Adventure with Joshua and Hoppy Frog” and illustrator.
- “An Adventure with Joshua and Rocky the Otter.” Both children’s books are in three elementary schools in the Monterey Peninsula as part of a reading program that Ms. Howell started.
- Featured author in a two-page article in the “Women of Distinction Magazine” 2017.
- Radio interview by Dr. Carol Francis, Hollywood, California. Interview for her children’s book “An Adventure with Joshua and Hoppy Frog.
- A former winner of the International Library of Poets for the Best Poems and Poets of 2007. Poems published in The Poetry Gems 2000 and Halcyon Days 2002.
- Articles have appeared in The Carmel Pine, The Monterey News and Views, and The Monterey Poetry Review Magazine.
- Co-founder and Publicist for the Monterey Poetry Review magazine; established 4,500 circulations for three counties. Editor and marketing director for the magazine.
- An Award-winning artist. Enjoys painting landscapes, seascapes, nature, and creating murder scenes within a painting. Loves to create paintings to “Tell the Tale.”
- Her paintings are to mesmerize the observer. Her genre is landscapes, seascapes, nature, waves, mixed media, and illustrations for a published children’s book.
- Owner and Curator of the Reflections Elegante Fine Art Gallery in Willow Glen, San Jose, CA. 2020
- Frontpage article in The Willow Glen Resident newspaper promoting Reflections Elegante Fine Are Gallery and Lori’s fine artwork.
- Article on Reflections Elegante Fine Art Gallery and Lori’s paintings in the Wine and Travel magazine Winter and Spring 2020.
- Article on Reflections Elegante Fine Art Gallery in the VIA AAA magazine, May – June 2020.
- A member of the Salinas Valley Art Association. Her paintings were exhibited in Assembly Member Anna Caballero Art Exhibit and Congressman Jimmy Panetta.
- Publicity Director with the Salinas Valley Art Association.
- Juried into the Wargin Winery Art Exhibit.
- Juried into the Los Gatos Art Association art show.
- Juried into the Avery Gallery placed Honorable Mention.
- Talk and Art at Steinbeck Library Museum. Artwork exhibited in Steinbeck Library.
- Paintings are exhibited in local restaurants.
- Member of the National League of American Pen Women, Inc. for writing and art. Featured in NLAPW 100 Century book 2022.
- Member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators.
- Member of the International Women’s Writing Guild.
More About Lori
Follow me on Social Media
“I Live to Create and Create to Live”!
“Even pickleball is creating, “Murder on the Court”!